Canada Family Visas


The Canadian Government understands families want to live together , and allows immigration for several families. Certain family members, like spouses , dependent kids and even children may be added to an initial application of the first time immigrants into Canada as grandparents, parents and others have to get sponsored by Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Family immigration requirements

Spouses and Partners

The spouse of your common law partners can usually be included in your application to become an immigrant. A common-law partner can be defined as someone of any sexual orientation (including those with same-sex partners) who has lived together as a spouse for at least one year. The same information should be supplied for your spouse in the same manner as you as the “Principal Applicant” (yourself) on the form for visa applications.

Children of your spouse’s dependents could also be added to the visa application.


It is usually a simple family immigration application to fill out.


In August 2014, only dependent children below 19 years old are eligible to be included in the visa application with the exception of children who suffer from specific physical and/or mental impairments and conditions which have no age restriction. In the past, children who were born before 21 years old were able to be considered.

A dependent child can be defined as any child who is younger than the age of 19 who doesn’t have a spouse or a partner or any child who relies on financial support from you (or or your partner) because of physical or mental impairment or health issue.

If your spouse or dependent children are dependent on their own, those children are also able to be listed in the visa applications you submit.

Parents and Grandparents

Most of the time, parents are not included in the initial visa application and instead must be sponsored by an individual who is a permanent resident or a citizen or citizen, with the exception of rare circumstances when the grandparents or parents suffer from difficulty or have compelling humanitarian or compassionate reasons for them to be listed in the initial application.


In order to sponsor your parents and grandparents to enter Canada as permanent residents you and your parent(s)/grandparent(s) must co-sign a sponsorship agreement, which states:

  • They will be provided with financial assistance if needed for instance, if they lose their job for a time period between 3 to 10 years.
  • That your parent(s)/grandparent(s) will take all reasonable measures to support themselves financially.


You might not be able sponsor your grandparents or parents in the event that any below conditions are present:

  • You failed to adhere to the conditions of financial support for a relative you had supported during the previous time.
  • Have you ever defaulted on a court order for support like an order for child support.
  • Have you ever received financial aid or benefits through government officials from the Canadian government (except assistance for those with disabilities)
  • Have you ever been found guilty of a sexual or violent crime, or any offense against a family member.
  • Have you ever had a missed payment, late payments or defaulted with an loan for immigration.
  • You are currently detained.
  • You’re currently declared bankrupt.


The application for sponsorship is available for relatives who are orphaned and younger than 19 years old such as siblings niece, nephew, or grandchild. The sponsoring of these relatives is subject to the same eligibility requirements and limitations as the parents/grandparents who sponsor (above).

In addition, you may sponsor a child younger than 19 years of age who you are planning to adopt (subject to the applicable adopting laws). Check out the International Adoptions page for more information.

Adoptions from abroad in Canada

Canadian law permits the adoption of children from other countries when you are already a Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Canadian citizens are able to typically apply to the child to obtain Canadian citizenship while they are overseas.

If you’re an permanent resident who wants to adopt an international child to Canada You must sponsor the child to be eligible for immigration. You can begin the process of sponsoring a child as early when you decide to adopt or wait until you’ve discovered a child and initiated adopting. There are two steps you need to follow when adopting an international child The adoption process as well as the process for registering an immigration sponsor. You must be aware of both.

The International Adoption Process

The responsibility for adoptions lies with provinces of Canada. In order for Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) will process your application, you’ll require an Home Study done, usually by your province.

You must adhere to the laws governing adoption in the country of the child’s birth country. Also, you must follow the laws in your province. You must be aware of all laws that apply to you prior to starting the process of adoption. can assist you with this.

The Canadian Immigration Process

As of December 23, 2007 Canadian citizens who adopt an overseas child can apply for citizenship for their child as soon as. Once the application process is complete the application process for a passport will begin to allow the child to come to Canada.

In the past, Canadian citizens had to apply to sponsor the child in order to be able to claim permanent residence in Canada. Because every adoption case is individual, in some instances for guardianship as opposed to than traditional adoption, this might remain a requirement.