Canada Student Visas


With over 130,000 students from abroad who are granted Visas for students to Canada each the year Canada provides a broad student community from all over the world. The opportunity to study at a university in Canada and any country can be an exciting and challenging It is important to be aware of the country you’d like to study in Canada in order to make sure it’s an enjoyable experience. It is something you must take care of before beginning applying for your student visa in Canada.

Please visit the Canada Study Permit page for all the details about how to apply for the Canadian Student Visa.

Locating the right school

It is important to start your application early for your studies in Canada. You must apply for at minimum 6 months in advance to both secondary and primary schools. Students at universities and colleges should apply one year prior to when they are planning to begin their studies. Every postsecondary institution has their own set of guidelines for applying and determines the level of English or French you need for acceptance.


The school you choose will be able to inform you about:

  • the cost to apply for the permit;
  • cost of tuition for studying tuition fees to study in Canada at the institution you choose;
  • health insurance;
  • rental and how much is it going to cost you to reside in Canada as well as
  • What language tests are required.

You must fill out the request form to the institution or school of your choice and then submit it in accordance with the directions given. If the school is able to accept students, they will issue an acceptance letter. It is necessary to have a letter of acceptance to apply for the study permit (a Student Visa to Canada).

Canada Study Permit (student visa)

The majority of students who study longer than 6 months in Canada require an Canadian Study Permit in order to be eligible for a Canadian Student Visas are referred to as. Students studying for six months or less don’t require a Study Permit however, they will have to apply for one if they want to continue their studies for a longer period or start a new course following the conclusion of their initial course.

Canadian Study Permits allow full time international students studying in Canada to be on campus or off for up 20 hours per week.


To be qualified to be eligible for an Canadian study permit, applicants must have an official location to study at a designated institution located in Canada for example, a Canadian university or community college college d’enseignement général et profesionalel (CEGEP) which is a publically funded technical or trade schools or a private institute licensed by the provincial statute to award degrees.

Furthermore, applicants must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You must provide a formal letter of confirmation that they are able to attend a designated organization in Canada.
  • Applicants to study in Quebec must also possess an Certificate of Acceptance from Quebec (Quebec Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ)
  • Be sure to have proof of money to pay for tuition
  • Make sure you have proof of funds for maintenance for the applicant, as well as any family members who are also traveling to Canada
  • Be sure to have proof of money that will allow the applicant as well as any family members who are required to travel back to their country of origin after they have completed their studies.
  • A police/criminal record certification from their country of the country of (this is only required supplied if requested)
  • In general, be in good healthand be willing to be willing to undergo a medical examination when requested
  • Candidates must plan for a return trip to the home country after their studies are completed and they must prove to an immigration officer that they intend to return.


Certain students do not require an Canadian Study Permit to study in Canada. This includes:

  • International students who want to take classes in Canada for six months or less
  • Staff members and family members of foreign ambassadors to Canada like diplomats, embassy staff and officials
  • Armed forces from outside the country who are stationed in Canada as a result of the Visiting Forces Act
  • Individuals who are registered Indian designation in Canada


Beginning 1 June to June 1 2014, Canadian Students who hold a study permit and who satisfy the requirements are now able to work either on or off campus, without the need to obtain an additional work permit.

The students who satisfy the requirements are permitted to work maximum 20 hours each week during term time and at full-time during holidays and academic breaks:

  • It is required to be able to show an active Canadian Study Permit
  • It is required to be a full-time student
  • You must be enrolled in an accredited designated organization within Canada like a Canadian community college, university, college d’enseignement general and professionall (CEGEP) or a publicly funded technical or trade schools or a private institute that is authorized by provincial law to award degrees.
  • You must be enrolled in postsecondary degree in Canada or
  • You must be enrolled in an advanced vocational certificate at the secondary level or post-secondary qualification in Quebec
  • You must be enrolled in the program that grants an award of a diploma, degree or certificate
  • You must be enrolled in an academic program that runs at least 6 months