European Union

EU Immigration for non-EU Nationals


Non-EU citizens have many choices for working and living within the EU. Our immigration pages outline the option for obtaining a work permit or visa for every EU state we provide, along with details on bringing family membersto the EU, starting an enterprise, and getting legal permanent residency.

EU visas

In addition to the EU country’s visas There are two visa and work permit alternatives that allow applicants to travel and enter all countries in the EEA. These permits are known informally as Schengen visa and European Blue Card.

  • Schengen visa: The Schengen visa permits immigrants to travel to 26 EEA countries that make up the Schengen zone. The Schengen visa is primarily a used for shorter stay that are 90 days or less. Some countries allow immigrants to work on the Schengen visa, however they generally require applicants to apply for a normal working permit.
  • European Blue Card: This blue Card has been designed in order to attract professional professionals who are educated and skilled to reside and work throughout the 24 EU countries. The applicant must have a college degree or at the very least five years of experience in the field.

Schengen visas

The Schengen visa permits migrants to travel to 26 EEA countries that make up the Schengen zone. It is primarily a used for durations of less than 90 days. Certain countries permit immigrants to work on the Schengen visa, however majority of them require that the applicant apply for a normal job permit in lieu of.


A person who qualifies for an Schengen visa is able to travel across all countries which are participants in Schengen Accord. Schengen Accord.

Schengen countries

Please note: Certain EU countries – like those in the United Kingdom and Ireland – are not members of the Schengen Zone Therefore, having a Schengen visa will not allow the entry of those countries.

The countries that are part of the Schengen zone comprise:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • the Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Liechtenstein

The ability to travel and enter Europe by obtaining Schengen Visa. Schengen Visa

Schengen visas must be sought through the consulate in the country in which a person plans to enter to Schengen. Schengen area and where he or she is expected to spend the majority of their time. It is presumed that you’ll spend the majority times in the state that granted you the visa However, it’s not required.

You can apply for an Schengen visa through the consulate of a Schengen country, travel to the country, and immediately move into another Schengen country to spend the bulk of your time in that country. But, some countries that are aware of this kind of practice could at some point deny the Schengen visa to those they believe are at possibility of violating the purpose to obtain Schengen visas.

Each signatory of Schengen Accord Schengen Accord may decide to approve or deny a request to a person on the basis of the past record of conduct and travel within any other member state. It is recommended to stay clear of this method as much as is possible to avoid any unnecessary hassle.

Single or double visas for entry

  • The one-entry Schengen visa permits the holder visit only one Schengen country at once. Once the country is left, the visa is canceled regardless of any other factor like the time that was spent with the visa.
  • The Double-entry Schengen visa allows the holder visit into a Schengen country twice. However, it expires when that they have left the nation the second time.
  • The Multiple-entry Schengen visaallows the holder to go into the country that issues the visa. The visa holder can then freely travel across all Schengen states until validity of the visa is reached.

The length of stay

It is the (standard) maximum allowed time to stay allowed in Schengen nations is 90 days in all member states during any six-month period. This means in the case of someone who is a business traveler who holds an Schengen visa arrives in Germany in April, with a stay of 30 days (until 30 April) the visitor can only be allowed to stay for 60 additional days (for 90 days in total) across all Schengen countries prior to the 01st of October, and that includes re-entry back to Germany. In rare cases, visas can also be issued for a period of up to two years.

Students and workers with the Schengen visa

Certain countries might issue the category National Schengen visa, which permits the applicant to work in the country (but not in other countries within the Schengen Area). In reality, it is generally easier to get a non-Schengen work visas for those countries.

Additionally, there is the multiple-entry National Schengen visa, which permits certain students and highly experienced professionals to travel through Schengen countries when studying or working. In most instances, it is recommended to apply for an ordinary study or work visa to these states.

The people who are eligible to receive multi-entry nationa Schengen visas are:

  • Students from all over the world
  • Highly qualified academics, teachers and researchers.
  • Other highly competent professionals

European Blue Card

The European Blue Card is a standardised work permit that allows individuals from outside of the European Union (EU) to reside and work in any all of the EU state members. The countries that aren’t part of this Blue Card scheme are the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Denmark.

Stay duration

Blue Cards are typically issued for a period of between one to 4 years. They is able to be renewed. The card allows the owner to travel and travel to different Blue Card scheme coutries, however, only for a total time of up to 90 days during the course of a 6 month period.

Conditions of eligibility

To be eligible to be eligible for the European Blue Card candidates must possess:

  • A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or five years of experience in the field
  • A job offer from the Blue Card scheme country, that:
    • Minimum 150% of national minimum wage
    • It should last at the very least one year
    • Does it have a contract or any other legally binding agreement that says self-employed work is not applied to
  • Registration and any other specifications for their profession in the event that they are appropriate

Change of jobs or employer

At the end of 18 months, the Blue Card employees may apply for a fresh Blue Card to a different country. After two years on a Blue Card, applicants are usually allowed to switch jobs with their employer or begin working for a new company within that same nation. Certain countries are more strict regarding changing employment and companies.

Family members

Blue Card Blue Card allows applicants to include relatives members in their application.

Becoming unemployed

If Blue Card holders lose their job, they have three months to remain in the country and search for work. They can also get social security benefits during the period of. If they remain not employed after 3 months, their Blue card could be taken away.