European Union

EU immigration to EU Nationals


The nationals of 27 of 28 EU states as well as those from EEA States Switzerland, Norway, and Liechtenstein have the full right to travel between, reside and work in any of the EU or EEA countries. The only catch is that Croatian citizens will remain restricted on the following nations for at least 2020:

  • Austria
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Slovenia
  • the United Kingdom

Croatian citizens will typically need work permits as well as residence visas to reside and work within these nations. Additionally the Act of Accession for 2011 Act of Accession dictates that different EU states are able to impose temporary restrictions to Croatian citizens at their own discretion.

Information to EU Nationals


Information about EU citizens about emigrating to the United States together with their family, rights to work and social security regulations and taxation can be found in the following sections:

  • Bring family members together
  • Employment rights and questions
  • Social taxes and security


Familie members of EU Nationals of the EU

This guide only applies to employees who reside in EU countries that have the right to work and reside without restriction in any other EU countries. To determine whether you’re eligible, take the time to read this guide carefully.

If you’re an EU citizen moving to another EU country in order to work for self-employment or employment, or provide the services you provide, you have the right to relocate in an additional EU state.

Family members of your immediate circle regardless of nationality, are entitled to move with you or join you in the country of your work. For the other members of your household, your nation in which you work is bound “to consider favourably” any requests from them for joining you.

Family members who are residing along with you be issued a residence card or other document good for the identical amount of time as your own. If they choose to the same, your spouse, children and parents have the right to work with no restrictions in the country you work in. Your children have the same right to receive education in the same manner as nationals of that country and also enjoy the same educational rights.

Family members who are from non-EU countries might be required to obtain an entry visa by their country in which they work. The visa can be granted quickly and comes cost-free.

Rights and issues regarding employment in the EU

You are eligible to be hired to the same conditions as the nationals of the nation that you wish to work. It is not necessary to meet additional specifications. This means you are able to submit an application for every job that is advertised within any EU country including public sector jobs. However, some public service positions may be limited to citizens of a specific country, if the job requires the protection of the public order or the interest of the state.

Recognition of certificates

The EU has created system for the recognition of degrees and certificates that permit you to take full advantage of your education and abilities in an other EU country. If you have the qualifications to work in your country of origin and you have the right to perform the same job within any EU country.

If you want to pursue a career (as an attorney, teacher or engineer for instance) that is subject to regulation in the EU country, then you need to request recognition of your qualifications within the country in which you are. Authorities have up to four months within which to decide. If your credentials are different from the standard qualifications in the country, you could be asked for additional experience or education or to pass the aptitude exam.

If you’re a doctor or general nurse, a midwife, dentist or vet, architect or pharmacist Your national qualification is in general recognition immediately.

If your field of work isn’t legally regulated in the nation where you want to practice, no recognition of your qualifications is needed.

Looking for work

If you’re unemployed You are entitled to move to the same EU country for the “reasonable period” of time in order to find an employment. The majority of EU countries permit the period to be six months, but this is different between countries. But, regardless of how long it takes to find a job, you will not be required for a leave of absence if can prove you are truly seeking a job and have the chance of finding one. In other words, you have tests or interviews to take.

You can sign up at the employment centers and agencies even if you are not a resident of the country where you would like to work and will receive the same assistance to locate employment as nationals of the country.

Employment rights

If you are an EU citizen living in an EU country, you are entitled to the right to reside there. For stays of more than the period of three months. This rights is confirmed through the issuance of a residence card to EU citizens.

You are under the same working conditions as citizens of the nation you are working in in terms of such things as pay and dismissal, working hours, working, maternity leave and safety and health at workplace. Additionally, you are subject to the same rights as citizens of the host nation regarding discrimination due to age, gender identity, or sexual orientation and marital status, disability, pregnancy, race, and religious beliefs.

Workers assigned into another EU country

There are specific rights when you are an “posted” worker, (that means you are employed for a specific duration in a state that is not a member from the one in which you typically are employed). If you’re posted for more than one month the employer has to inform you in writing prior to when you leave, about the conditions of your work and pay during your time in the country.

You are usually connected with the system of social insurance in your country of birth.

The pay of a posted worker is generally taxed in the nation where they live, as long as they have not been posted to another country for longer than 183 days during a 12-month time period. However these rules are only applied only occasionally and it is advised to get in touch with the tax authorities of each country.

Freedom to offer services

You are able to provide your services in another EU country, but not establish your business there permanently. If you are in compliance with the regulations of your profession or trade you practice within your country and you are a member of the EU, you can in general, offer these services in any other country within the EU. You are able to travel to assist clients in another EU country, or offer paid services from your home country without traveling to the country.

Social tax and security in the EU

Social security

All EU citizens have the right to receive social security benefits regardless of whether they are searching for employment in a different country than their home. Unemployed EU citizens are eligible to claim unemployment benefits and various other advantages in every EU member state. They could even be able to continue receiving benefits from the country where they were without work for up to 6 months, if they decide to move in a different EU country.

These rights also include sick and maternity benefits such as disability, old-age, and widow’s/widower’s benefit, as well as the benefits for injuries on the job, work-related sickness or death, and family allowances. The applicant must contribute the same contributions as nationals of the host country.

You will not be denied benefits based on citizenship, residency, or any other reason that is discriminatory.


If you work in a member state, and then moving your residence to that state then you’ll become “resident for tax purposes” in that state. Definitions of tax-related residency differs from one member state to the next. You must be in compliance with regulations of your country in which you’ve established your residency.

If you live fiscally in a particular country that is not a member of the United States, you are required to declare your entire revenue (“worldwide” earnings). You could also be subject to additional taxes, such as inheritance tax or wealth tax.

Agreements on taxation have been signed among the member states of the EU These agreements are designed to stop double taxation in the event that you have income coming from various countries.