The US B-1 and B-2 Visitor Visa Waiver Pilot Program


If you’re traveling on an airline that is a participant (i.e. all scheduled airlines that are part of participating countries) and have tickets for return or onward to another country than Canada citizens of the list below are not required to obtain the visa for trips to the US for up to 90 days. Note that you’ll have to apply online for a visa under ESTA (Electronic Systems for Travel Authorisation).

There have been the new rules regarding this pilot visa waiver program. Travelers who fall into the following categories cannot travel or to be admitted into in the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

  • If you’re a member of a Visa waiver pilot program (VWP) country and you have been to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen from the 1st of March, 2011,, you are required in the majority of cases the ability to obtain a visa for B-1/B-2 at the nearest US Consulate or Embassy. There are some exceptions to this rule , for instance when you’ve traveled for military or diplomatic reasons employed by one of the VWP countries (see below for examples). VWP Country).
  • Additionally, if you’re the national of a visa-free country and you are also a resident of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen you’ll need in order to obtain a visitor visa through the appropriate US consulate or Embassy.

List of B-1/B-2 Visa Waiver Countries:

Andorra Australia Austria
Belgium Brunei Chile
Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany
Greece Hungary Iceland
Ireland Italy Japan
Latvia Leichtenstein Lithuania
Luxembourg Malta Monaco
Netherlands New Zealand Norway
Portugal San Marino Singapore
Slovakia Slovenia South Korea
Spain Sweden Switzerland
Taiwan United Kingdom



The people who are within America under the visa waiver scheme. US with the Visa Waiver scheme have to comply with similar conditions to those in the B1/B2 visa standard plan, except that it is limited to ninety-days and it’s not an option to renew the visa traveling in the US or switch to a different visa.

NOTE: Visitors on private aircrafts will need the B1 visa and B2.